Diamond Jubilee at Romance at Random

"The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge." Albert Einstein




Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Kary's Top Ten All-Time Favorite Summer Movies

In honor of the days of driving recklessly, living dangerously and working in fast food – this is my first installment of useless summer facts and fun.

Some of the funniest, scariest, most romantic movies of all time fall under the category of SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER. We all have those movies that remind us of the fun times in our lives – the young times in our lives. This list is a personal compilation of my favorites. Please feel free to add to and incorporate your own selections. The only rule is that the original release of the movie must be between May and August of any given year.


Kary's Top Ten

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark, June 1981 – the ultimate original summer adventure and the gold standard by which all others are measured



2. Ghostbusters, June 1984 – Who you gonna call? One of the funniest movies of all time and the embodiment of everything a summer movie should be




3. JAWS, June 1975 – I still will not go deeper than my knees in the ocean because of this movie



4. Top Gun, May 1986 – is there any woman over the age of 40 who didn't want to be on the beach during that volleyball scene?






5. Pirates of the Caribbean, July 2003 – a new wind blowing for the summer movie genre and the most notable adventure movie in over a decade





6. Batman, June 1989 – the beginning of the superhero's reign over the summer box office





7. Animal House, July 1978 – I've got one word for you "TOGA"






8. Cars, June 2006 – could have included any number of animated films because there are several that are worth seeing even if the kids aren't with you. This one is just my fav but Toy Story, Wall-E, Finding Nemo are all worth your time





9. Independence Day, July 1996 – Space Aliens and Will Smith 'nough said.





10. Jurassic Park, June 1993 – Seriously, I could do a Top 10 on Speilberg alone – The man is a summer movie genius

Other notables that didn't make my top 10 – Star Wars, Grease, Alien, Airplane, Caddyshack, The Blues Brothers, E.T., Risky Business, Return of the Jedi, Vacation, The Karate Kid, Back to the Future, Dirty Dancing, Bull Durham, Big, Apollo 13, Men In Black, Armageddon, Gladiator, Transformers, Iron Man, The Hangover, Inception

Here is a website that lists top movies by release dates. Take a stroll and reminisce. Spend a little time then leave me a comment letting me know which movies spark a memory or add a new selection of your own.

And most importantly – HAVE FUN!!!! It's summer time.

12 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh wow, you and I have very similar tastes in movies. All the Indiana Jones movies are right at the top of my list. Loved Ghostbusters, Jaws, Pirates, Animal House, JURASSIC PARK, and all the Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser.

Kary said...

The Mummy -- I forgot that one. Good addition, Brenda. Thanks for coming by.

Jenna said...

I think between the two of you you've hit all the high spots. BTW-I may be the only woman who doesn't like Top Gun then or now. Long story, but it ranks down there with Carosel and South Pacific as my least favorite things to watch. I would put Finding Nemo on my top ten. And Star Wars. May the Force be with you!

Kary said...

Thanks Jenna. No Top Gun - interesting. But you do have to admit the music was good -- Highway To The Danger Zone. And from South Pacific. One Enchanted Evening :0)I love that song. Hee hee

Kendra said...

Girl, do you not remember going to see The Lost Boys with me, Kristi and Holly in the summer of '87? We had a spirited debate on who was hotter--Jason Patrick or Kiefer Sutherland!

That was the same year The Princess Bride came out, too. I can still quote most of the lines.

Kary said...

OMG - The Lost Boys -- Saw it at least 10 times that summer. I do hope Jason Patric won over Kiefer because he never would now. He hasn't aged well.

The Princess Bride - Trailer quote "Not your average everyday run-of-the-mill hum-drum fairy tale" and yes I actually quoted a line from the movie less than an hour ago in an email to a friend. There are so many quotable lines. "Let me 'splain - no there's too much let me sum up. Buttercup es marry Humperdink in liddle less than haf a hour."

Great Additions!

Kendra said...

Despite all my protests to the contrary (I've loved Kiefer since I first set eyes on him!), Jason did win the argument. Sigh...they were both really hot at 19!

Mawridge. Mawridge is what bwrings us togever today....

D'Ann said...

Great list!

I can't remember what movies come out in summer, and which in winter, but I love big blockbuster movies like these.

Kary said...

D'Ann - I can barely what I did two or three days ago. No way I could remember when most movies came out. But as you can tell -- there are some movies I can quote verbatum start to finish. It's freakish really. ;)

Lisa Kumar said...

Great list! I'm not a fan of Top Gun or Jaws but like most of the other movies mentioned.

Laurie said...

It's really funny...but as I was reading your top ten movie list and all the honorable mentions...I was thinking to myself...yep, yep, yep...all the way down the list. Thanks for bringing back some great memories!
Laurie
Laurie's Thoughts & Reviews
Laurie's Interviews

Kary said...

Thanks, Laurie. This was a really fun post for me because I love usless trivia. I am so glad it brought back memories.