Diamond Jubilee at Romance at Random

"The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge." Albert Einstein




Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Favorite Character Blogfest



A writer friend just posted about a blog hop where participants give a snippet about their favorite character from one of their works. Like her, I thought that was a an great idea. Even though the hop started on Jan. 23, it's still not too late to join. Click on the Favorite Character Blogfest button above to read on how to join/hop. 

My favorite character is from Bound by the Mist. And it's not the hero, though I love him dearly! So who could it be? His father. Yep, his father. Talion is king of the Erian Elves and has a suave coolness about him. He also has the decided benefit of not looking much older than his handsome son. And I can't forget his wicked sense of humor! Oh, how I love it! But at heart, he's a kind man (or elf, however you want to look at it) and only uses it on those who can withstand it--or those he considers fools. 

Though he doesn't have a huge role in Bound by the Mist, he'll feature prominently in later books. Here's a snippet that won't make it into the series (I just had to share it somewhere!):

Talion suppressed a dismayed chuckle as he watched Kenhil and Maggie interact.  Had the time come to retire and hand the throne to his son?  Someone to aid Kenhil in his juvenile, carefree behavior when off-duty was not something he desired.  They could cause much mayhem, something at which they'd probably excel.  This didn’t bode well for his kingdom. 
            
He would take extra precautions to secure his chambers at night so he didn't wake up with dyed blue hair.  In truth, he had little to fear on that account because even Kenhil would never go so far as to touch another elf’s hair.  It was a source of pride for their people, and no elf would ever stoop so low, except in retaliation or revenge.  But Maggie and Kenhil could find other trouble. 
            
Ruefully shaking aside those thoughts, he watched as Relian drew Cal away from the gazebo.  Both walked with tense backs, and even his son’s usual lithe stride couldn’t hide it.  Cal stumbled along in painfully high-heeled shoes that had to be very restrictive and confining.  Talion shuddered.  Humans were strange creatures at times.  

Thanks for dropping by and meeting Talion!


18 comments:

1000th.monkey said...

Okay, you gotta explain the blue-hair thing...

Angie said...

Sounds like an interesting guy for sure!

Lisa Kumar said...

Thanks for stopping by, Angie and 1000th.monkey!

Lol, the 'blue hair thing' is about him having his hair dyed blue.

Brenda said...

Okay, I'm even more excited for the release of Bound By Mist.

Lisa Kumar said...

Thanks, Brenda! I'll soon have a treat for everybody, too!

Casea Major said...

I am ready to see a different side of Talion. We have seen his royal higness, his parental skills and his snarky agitation of one smat-mouthed head strong human. I'm waiting for some smoldering sexiness...still waiting. LOL

Lisa Kumar said...

Lol, you'll see it--just as soon as I write it!

Harlie Reader said...

He is intriguing to say this least. Can't wait to read more about him.

Marika

Christine Rains said...

Nice snippet to show a few sides of Talion. And yes, humans are strange creatures!

Lisa Kumar said...

Marika--he's such a dynamic persion (at least that's how I picture him). I just fear I won't do him justice on the page. Thanks for stopping by!

Christine--so true! Thanks for stopping by!

Julie Daines said...

Sounds like a cool character. I love the practical joking son too! Good job.

Morgan said...

Parents can be so much fun to write, especially when you get to see them interact with their kids. It really determines so much of who you are...I couldn't imagine having a king for a father (I think I'd go crazy from the pressure!) Thanks for sharing!

Yamile said...

I love to read about what another race (elves, goblins, etc) think about humans ;-) also, love to read about parents and see why the heroes are the way they are.

Kristy Shen said...

"Humans were strange creatures at times." Love that line! I would definitely read this story.

Count me in as a new follower. I hope you can drop by my blog!

Jenna said...

Talion sounds like another wonderful elf character. What I've come to expect from your works, Lisa. Just from this I can see several different facets of him. :)

Lisa Kumar said...

Julie--he's a cool character to me, too, lol! But I like all the characters in the story.

Morgan-having a king for a father--and being a prince-- would be stressful!

Yamile--I agree. It's fun to read how different races regard each other.

Kristy--that's my favorite line, too! I

Jenna--so glad you could his different facets! I worried about that in this small excerpt. Felt it didn't do him justice.

Alice said...

INteresting perspective from this character. I'd like to learn more about him.

Lisa Kumar said...

Thanks for stopping by, Alice!